Saturday, August 27, 2011

fresh cream corn

Earlier this month (and last), corn had become a staple in our weekly veggie box from Grow Alabama.  Conrad and I both LOVE corn.  Guy and Teague will eat it, but could easily could live without it.  Most weeks, we'd soak the corn and throw it on the grill whichever night we were grilling dinner.  Some nights we'd even top the corn with chilli powder, butter and lime juice.  YUMMY!  But we'd all grown weary of picking corn from our teeth.  I hate that feeling - don't you? So I decided to try cream corn.  I've made it before and it's been fine, but never stellar.  I think I finally got it right.  Not sure if it was the recipe or the iron skillet, but it worked! 

I can't for the life of me find the recipe I used online, but I found my notes.  As soon as I locate it, I'll give credit where credit is due.  I usually look for recipes from Giada de Laurentis, Ina Garten, or Alton Brown (hubbie's go-to for recipes), but I thought I better go with someone southern for a cream corn recipe.  I'm certain it was The Neeley's.  For the life of me I can't find it.  So, this is not my original recipe, but here goes...

4 ears corn
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup cold water
2 tablespoons bacon grease
1 tablespoon butter

Cut kernels from four ears of corn.  Using back of knife, scrape the corn cob releasing the milk into your bowl of kernels.  This is very important to get a good cream corn.

Whisk together sugar, salt, pepper, and flour.  Add to corn.  Stir cream and cold water into corn mixture.

Heat bacon grease in iron skillet over medium heat.  Add corn.  Turn heat to medium-low.  Stir until cream.  Just before serving stir in butter.

Enjoy!  If you try it, let me know how it turns out!

Today's happy...fresh, delicious, melt-in-your-mouth cream corn.





No comments:

Post a Comment